[openib-general] Negotiation of Rsponder resource & Initiator depth

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Sep 20 10:59:18 PDT 2006

Erez Zilber wrote:
> In the IB spec it says in 12.7.29:
>
> The recipient of the REQ message shall choose a local Initiator Depth that
> does not exceed the Responder Resources offered in the REQ. If the recipient
> of the REQ message is unwilling or unable to do so, it shall send a
> REJ message to discontinue the connection establishment.
>
>  From reading the CMA code, I see that it does not negotiate these
> values (responder resources & initiator depth). It expects the ULP to
> negotiate it. Why? Shouldn't it be done by the CMA?

There's a bug in the CMA interface in that it doesn't expose the requested
connection parameters up to a listener.  I have plans to fix this in the short
term, but the negotiation is still left to the user.  I don't think that the CMA
knows enough about what the application is trying to do to set this for it.