[openib-general] [RFC] determining which changes in svn to merge upstream or remove

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Sep 25 17:03:36 PDT 2006

Now that changes from the iWarp branch have been merged upstream, I wanted to
get feedback about migrating existing changes in svn upstream, or removing
features from svn.  Specifically, the following features are in svn only:

* RDMA CM:
        - userspace support
        - multicast support
        - UD QP support (required for multicast)
        - IB specific options (set paths, CM timeouts)
* Local SA cache
* IB multicast module

Additionally, there have been patches to provide userspace SA support, which
requires additional discussion.  (Roland sent a proposal to run a daemon on top
of the existing usermad interface.)  Feedback on the userspace API, and
user/kernel API are welcome.

The main intent behind most of these changes is providing userspace multicast
support through both the RDMA CM, as well as raw IB.

I would like to get a better understanding of which features in svn are in use,
so that I can create patches for their inclusion for 2.6.20, and identify if any
features can be removed from svn.  Userspace support for any feature will target
2.6.20 as well, but may go into the -mm branch if people feel that it still
needs to mature.  My hope is that the differences between svn and the kernel can
be limited primarily to new modules (e.g. the local SA).