[openib-general] Port reuse issue for rdma_cm/iwarp

Sundeep Narravula narravul at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Sep 26 14:53:36 PDT 2006

> TCP restricts prompt re-use of the same Source/Destination
> Address/Port pair while old traffic could still be in-flight.
> This is generally not an issue because prompt re-use of the
> exact four tuple is rare.
>
> Is there a special reason why your application needs to
> reuse the same port from the active side? If the port number
> is being used to identify the rank, could private data be
> used instead?

Our application is primarily an invocation of multiple independent parallel
jobs which all need to connect or each other on each invocation. Since
this is a TCP limitation, is there any interface similar to setsockopt
with TCP_NODELAY. We probably need to use different ports otherwise.

Thanks,
  --Sundeep.