[openib-general] enable GSO over IPoIB

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 26 14:53:53 PDT 2006

>     Shirley> Since linux 2.6.18 supports GSO, I have patched IPoIB to
>     Shirley> enable GSO, but haven't tested the performance yet. Has
>     Shirley> anyone tried already?
>
> No, I don't think anyone looked at that yet.  Could you post your
> patch?  What is required?  Supporting gather/scatter?
>
>  - R.

Don't need too. GSO only improves sender side performance. It allows large
packet send in ULPs, and segments this packet in interface layer before
driver xmit. The GSO enablement is through ethtool. Since ipoib doesn't
support ethtool, i just simply added a module parameter to set the
interface GSO flag when loading the module. My next step is to enable
gather/scatter in ipoib send to chain multiple packets together for one
door bell.

Thanks
Shirley Ma