[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Sep 28 09:21:52 PDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 09:27 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>
> > Me too.
>
> Roland and I (following his example) checked in changes to the mthca and
> ipath drivers in SVN yesterday that add a #warning to a core driver
> source file saying "don't look here, look over there!"  That's a first
> step towards dropping the drivers from SVN trunk altogether.

As a user of the SVN repository, I'm confused about what this means
going forward.

Are you going to completely remove the mthca and ipath code from SVN
or just stop updating the code that is there?

Will the other components that are upstream (SRP, iSER, IPoIB, CM,
RDMA CM, SA, MAD, CORE, ...) be removed? What rules are you using to
determine if the SVN version will be kept up to date?

To date, the process for using and testing new OFA features has been
very simple. Users simply downloaded the lastest stable kernel release
and replaced the drivers/infiniband directory with the sources out of
SVN. This worked for the development of new components (e.g. eHCA,
ipath, RDMA cm, iSER, SRP, etc.). In the future, how will users work
with new features that are not yet upstream?