[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Thu Sep 28 16:29:38 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 13:55 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Matt>   RedHat and SuSE have stated several times that they want
>     Matt> an OFED like process that takes the OF code and runs it
>     Matt> through a rigorous suite of regression and performance
>     Matt> tests.  The purpose of OFED is to get into the commercially
>     Matt> supported distros (e.g RHEL and SLES).  That is what the
>     Matt> majority of end customers want/need.  That said spinning out
>     Matt> "pre-OFED" releases of each component would help to get the
>     Matt> code into the other distros (FC, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
>     Matt> etc.) which, of course, is a very good thing to do.
>
> I think we've gotten mixed up about "release" vs. "distribution"
> again.  I would say that all the packaging crap, which OFED does as a
> short-term thing to make it possible for naive users to install, is
> actually a big negative for RH and Novell -- they would rather package
> and build software themselves.

  Fair point.  I don't like the way OFED is packaged.  It's messy and
just causes more problems than it is worth.  What I do like about OFED
is the rigorous testing that each company does.  It would be great if we
can include this rigorous testing into the OF release process.

> What is missing is the tested, coordinated tarball release of OF
> userspace stuff -- http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ might be a useful
> model, particularly the "Getting GNOME 2.16" section.

  Yes, we need something like this.

  - Matt