[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Sep 29 12:48:37 PDT 2006

    James> I think there are two elephants in the room. What bout the
    James> dual license policy that is enforced by the OpenFabrics
    James> Alliance?

    James> Currently the OpenFabrics Alliance members require that all
    James> code committed to the OFA repository will be dual GPL/BSD
    James> licensed. If the source code is no longer hosted on OFA
    James> servers, who is going to guarantee that?

I would call this more of a red herring than an elephant.  Right now
their is nothing that prevents me or anyone else from writing GPL-only
code and getting it merged into Linus's tree.  When I pointed this out
before, your response was that such code would not be part of the
OpenFabrics stack -- and I think that's exactly the answer to the
issue you're raising:

For better or for worse, the OFA marketing has created a peer pressure
situation that all the IB and RDMA vendors feel compelled to play
along with.  And if GPL-only code doesn't get the OFA stamp of
approval, then vendors aren't going to do that.  The domain name of a
source code repository is pretty irrelevant here.

(Not to mention the fact that no one is enforcing the dual license on
things that _are_ checked into openib.org anyway...)

 - R.