[ofa-general] Re: multicast join failed for...

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Apr 11 14:45:54 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 15:47, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com>:
> > Subject: Re: multicast join failed for...

> > > That's why I suggest the fix, so that the rate is adapted
> > > dynamically.

> > > Of course it can. That's what happens when SM is restarted.
> >
> > Client reregistration ? I don't like using that big hammer as a solution
> > to this. Seems a little harsh to me.
>
> I think it's not too bad

It requires all subscriptions to reregister. This affects more things
than just multicast or even the groups affected which might not be all
of the multicast groups. Hence BIG hammer. There could be a more
graceful way to deal with this. I don't like using client reregister
unless absolutely needed.

>  - previously we had some client failing join
> which is worse.

Maybe not. Maybe that's what the admin wants (to keep the higher rate
rather than degrade the group due to some link issue).

>  And we can still keep an option to limit the rate
> manually.
>
> > I'm not convinced it's even
> > required either,
>
> How do you mean? All end-points must know the rate is now lower.

I didn't think we had the complete story yet on what is going on.