[ofa-general] desired netperf mods?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Apr 12 14:22:39 PDT 2007

Scott Weitzenkamp (sweitzen) wrote:
> Rick,
>
> SDP is easy to get with netperf by running "LD_PRELOAD=libsdp.so
> netperf/neterver", so in my opinion SDP is already covered.

The one and IMO very big worry I have about using LD_PRELOAD is that it
does not change the netperf test banner.  So, it leaves one very
vulnerable to cut-and-paste errors and not realizing that something was
SDP when it really was.

The advantage then (again IMO) of an explicit SDP test is that the test
banners will be right.

> Here's a list of things I'd like to see from netperf, in priority order:
>
> 1) IP multicast
> 2) Test that uses multiple concurrent sockets at the same time
> 3) RDS

The pt-pt nature of netperf (what I will often call netperf2) has often
made me wonder if IP multicast in netperf2 made much sense - there would
be one multicast sender and one multicast receiver.  If there is indeed
value there, sure, IP/UDP multicast then.

Otherwise, I think that 1 and 2 are best served with netperf4.  Netperf4
is where I am trying to address things not well suited to the pt-pt
nature of netperf2 - multicast would be one of those, and multiple,
concurrent sockets (with explicit synchronization of the measurment
interval...) is another.

Netperf4 of course needs quite a bit of work/help.  FWIW it is also
where I was able to get a "netperf" released under the GPL rather than
the old "netperf license" from the HP Legal types ca 1993.

Netperf4 current mainline:  http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf4/trunk

has a current, pretty much known to function set of bits.

Netperf4 branch: http://www.netperf.org/svn/branches/gobject_migration/

is where I'm trying to get a properly event driver netperf going to
allow both interactive and batch benchmarking

I sometimes joke (well,perhaps half joke) that netperf4 is the
eierlegendwolmilchsau (sp) version of netperf, or I call it "Shimmer"
(being both a harness and a set of benchmark suites)

> I hadn't thought about netperf and uDAPL before, but certainly there
> would be value in adding uDAPL, MPI, and even filesystem benchmarks.

As it happens, netperf4 does have a disc suite which was added by
someone wanting to measure both networking and mass storage
simultaneously on "combo" cards.

rick jones