[ofa-general] Re: multicast join failed for...

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Apr 13 04:36:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 00:41, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting Sean Hefty <sean.hefty at intel.com>:
> > Subject: RE: [ofa-general] Re: multicast join failed for...

> > What would bring the rate back up?
>
> When the node is diagnosed and disconnected, SM will bring the rate back up.

I would say that the SM could (rather than will) bring the rate back up.
This increases the implementation complexity but would be warranted
if/when a dynamic rate option is supported.

> > Halting all multicast traffic across the subnet to handle a flaky node
>
> Not halting, that would be broken. We are slowing the traffic down to avoid
> congestion at this link.
>
> And you don't know it's "flaky" - it's just a heteroenious network. Policy can
> be forced by SM option but I don't think we should assume homogenious networks
> by default.

Homogeneous subnets are not assumed. What is assumed is the most common
use case (4x SDR or greater equipment). The issue occurs when there is a
slower node attempting to join.

-- Hal