[ofa-general] Re: Default multicast group rate

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Fri Apr 13 06:50:16 PDT 2007

> So the question is whether the best default is 2.5 Gbps which would
> allow any nodes to join or whether the current default is appropriate ?
> I know certain people's opinions who have been vocal on this list up to
> now. I'm looking for other opinions. Thanks.

Just as a summary of what I was saying in another thread,
I propose implementing a dynamic approach, where we start at
4x DDR, and drop the rate gradually as lower rate nodes join,
or raise the rate when all lower rate nodes have left.

reregister can be used to let existing members know that
rate has changed. Later, a spec extension can be designed
to notify group members about rate change.

I think this dynamic approach would be the best default, static
configurations can be supported as an option.

--
MST