[ofa-general] Re: multicast join failed for...

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Fri Apr 13 06:57:12 PDT 2007

> Quoting Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com>:
> Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: multicast join failed for...

> > > So you are arguing for 1x SDR as the default. We've discussed and
> > > disagreed on this before as I think it masks performance issues and
> > > those are harder to find. I could be wrong about this.
> >
> > No, I'm arguing for dynamic configuration as the default.
> > so we start at 4x DDR and bbring the rate down as slower nodes join.
>
> OK that answers a different question I was wondering about. Or speed it
> up if all nodes are say 4x DDR.
>
> What I was trying to say was that since we don't have dynamic rate
> support now (and I'm not signing up to do this, is someone ?),

I don't know too much about opensm yet, but I can try looking into it,
or try talking someone into this :)

But I'm happy we all agree it's a good idea.
Let's add this to osm/doc/todo?

> I was
> saying that a static rate default of 1x SDR would eliminate the join
> errors (at the debug "expense" of what I think are harder to find
> performance issues). Sorry I didn't make that clear before.

I think if we either
1. Add an option to disable 1x support at endnode
or
2. Implement a tool to find and report 1x links
or
3. By default, report 1x links in opensm log as errors

Then this issue will be easy to debug.

--
MST