[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB bonding document ?

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Apr 17 23:59:18 PDT 2007

Tang, Changqing wrote:
> I know you are working on bonding, where is a good document
> about IPoIB bonding ?
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. is bonding working on two HCAs, as well as two ports on th same HCA ?
> 2. is the second channel idle, or two channels are used during regular
> time ?

Hi CQ - I am cc-ing the general list as well, as other people might be
interested as well.

The package provided with OFED 1.2 contains documentation, you can
browse to the below url to get the doc.
http://www.openfabrics.org/git/?p=~monis/ofed-bond-pkg.git;a=tree;f=ib-bonding-0.9.0/docs;h=ea30b3e6e8ebe530182cff18e8e7db19ee4aa346;hb=HEAD

Bonding works in the interface level such that a bonding master
interface (eg bond0) enslaves other interfaces (eg ib0 and ib1). In the
IPoIB case, the enslaved devices can be bounded to two (or more) ports
on the same/different HCA, its also possible to bond child interfaces
(eg ib0.8003 and ib1.8003) etc.

The bonding driver has one HA and few LB operation modes, currently,
only the HA mode (named Active-Backup) is supported for IPoIB.

> 3. the mesage re-transmit from first channel to second channel at TCP
> packet level, right ?

I am not sure to follow you, in case you ask if after bonding fail-over
TCP re-transmission is done over the active interface used by bonding,
the answer is yes.

Or.