[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB forwarding

Bryan Lawver lawver1 at llnl.gov
Fri Apr 27 12:05:14 PDT 2007

Your right about the ipoib module not combining packets (I believed you
without checking) but I did never the less.  The ipoib_start_xmit routine
is definitely handed a "double packet"  which means that the IP NIC driver
or the kernel is combining two packets into a single super jumbo
packet.  This issue is irrespective of the IP MTU setting because I have
set all interfaces to 9000k yet  ipoib accepts and forwards this 17964
packet to the next IB node and onto the TCP stack where it is never
acknowledged.  This may not have come up in prior testing because I am
using some of the fastest IP NICs which have no trouble keeping up with or
exceeding the bandwidth of the IB side.  This issue arises exactly every 8
packets...(ring buffer overrun??)

I will be at Sonoma for the next few days as many on this list will be.

bryan