[ofa-general] Re: initial set of "direct" SDP tests in netperf

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Apr 30 10:15:19 PDT 2007

>>I was poking around - it would be nice if they could take AF_INET_SDP - I
>>have to wonder if IPPROTO_SDP is actually better, but seeing there has been
>>some discussion there (but not having read all of it) I'm just going to go
>>with the flow...
>

> Basically everyone said "it does not matter".
> Do you think IPPROTO_SDP is better?

To the extent that I have no idea what is really happening under the
covers with SDP I would say yes.

My understanding is that the only difference is that "SDP" is used
rather than "TCP."  That being the case, then I would think it
would/should be like using say UDP vs TCP vs SCTP (ignoring the obvoius
protocol differences).

Each are "INET" sockets using "INET" addressing, the difference is the
layer-four (transport) protocol being used, which is selected via
IPPROTO_TCP vs IPPROTO_UDP vs IPPROTO_SCTP.

And when/if IPv6 is supported, then there shouldn't (?) be any need to
have an "extra" AF_INET6_SDP - one would use AF_INET and AF_INET6 with
IPPROTO_SDP.

Also, an application making use of getaddrinfo() (as all well-written
apps are supposed to be these days :) wouldn't have to worry about name
to IP resolution in the general case (where a protocol is not provided
with the hints) when wanting to use SDP directly - it still calls
getaddrinfo() with AF_INET, AF_INET6 or AF_UNSPEC as before, no need to
worry that AF_INET_SDP is not groked by getaddrinfo().

rick jones
from the SDP/IB peanut gallery