[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB path caching

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Aug 2 08:24:10 PDT 2007

> When I said "requires" I meant that "I think that it is required", I
> agree that the current IPoIB code does not link them together. In the
> beginning on this thread Roland commented saying he agree with me, but
> since then he did not provide more input to the discussion...

I think Jason said it clearer.  Think of the local SA as part of a
limited, distributed SA, rather than a cache.

> what's the reasoning to update the cache when there is GID out of
> service? you don't cache IP 2 GID mapping, nor the IB SA provides GID
> resolution services... What do you do on GID OUT, just remove all the
> paths in the cache for which this is the DGID?

Paths associated with that GID are removed.  When the GID comes back
into service, a new query is issued for just that GID, and the resulting
paths are re-added.  Whether the local SA responds to GID in/out of
service is run-time configurable.  (An administrator may not want the
local SA to sync during some application runs, to avoid the traffic or
hit on the SA.)

> Does it mean that you will have to re-implement RMPP in a user space
> library or just the initiation of the query would be from user space?

RMPP would not need to be re-implemented, but I haven't come up with a
user space solution that I like either.  I'm not trying to design a full
blown distributed SA, nor do I want to try to standardize some new SA
protocol.  I only want to fix the SA PR scalability problems that we see
in practice.