[ofa-general] How to get a thread out of the ib_cm_get_event while wthere is a broken IB connection?

Bub Thomas thomas.bub at thomson.net
Thu Aug 2 23:37:53 PDT 2007

Seems I had a wrong address so my previous mail didn't reach the
reflector, hopefully it does this time.

Our application is using OFED 1.1 under SLES10.

It is a point to point IB connection from a high speed image scanner to
a workstation.

The application is out in the market for about a year.

Now I get complains from the field that they do have dead pthreads
hanging around that are stuck in the ib_cm_get_event call.

For your explanation I'm creating a new pthread for every new attempt to
connect from the workstation to the image scanner.

This will happen only when one does re-power the image scanner while
having a connection established, this might happen often as once a week
to once a month.

The reason for the complains now are that the thread's hanging in the
ib_cm_get_event consume system resources and might block the system
after some 40 power cyles.

They don't want/can't restart the workstation application in order to
get the old phreads destroyed.

So my question is: How can I get a pthread out of the ib_cm_get_event
call without using pthread_kill?

Thomas Bub

Thomas Bub
Senior Software Engineer