[ofa-general] QoS RFC

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Aug 6 09:52:10 PDT 2007

>  From what I understand while reading your proposal, is that it is quite
> different then what what suggested in the original RFC. I don't think it
> makes sense to implement the host side of this before there's agreement
> on the over-all solution namely how the host side design/code plugs to
> the management scheme at the SM side.

I don't believe that my proposal and the SA side proposal are
incompatible.  We should be able to design the host side stack somewhat
independent from a specific SA implementation.  It needs to be to
support alternative SA implementations.

> One more thing that bothers me is backward compatibility with SM/SA,
> that does not support the not-published-yet IBTA QoS extensions. Where
> you thinking to first probe for the SA capabilities to see if it
> supports QoS path-queries or think its an over-doing?

I don't know that querying the SA for QoS capabilities is necessary.
The only thing I think you can do with that information is to display a
message on each host indicating that QoS is not supported in some
circumstances - those PR queries that rely on the QoS or service ID
field.  An administrator could get this information in other ways