[ofa-general] OFED Aug 27 meeting summary on OFED 1.3 development status

Nathan Dauchy Nathan.Dauchy at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 28 08:35:46 PDT 2007

Quick feedback from the field...

Tziporet Koren wrote:
> OFED Aug 13 meeting summary on OFED 1.3 development status:
>
> 2. New install:
>
>           o Explained the feature to build without installation is not
>             available any more.
>             Reasons for change were that working in the previous mode
>             was against rpm native usage and caused many issues to other
>             packages (like MPI).
>             In addition it caused OFED spec files and package to be not
>             useful for the distros.

Perhaps I don't understand all the nuances of creating official packages
for distros, but does this mean that the RPM build and install will have
to be done in one step?  That would make life MUCH more difficult for
sites like ours that have a diskless cluster, where the nodes running
OFED and where the compile is done do not have write access to the
image.  We must build one place and install (with chroot or 'rpm
--root') in another.  Separating build and install worked very well for
us in the past.

Thanks for your work and consideration,
Nathan