[ofa-general] OFED-1.3beta IPoIB testing questions

Eli Cohen eli at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Dec 4 08:15:21 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 15:19 -0800, Shirley Ma wrote:
> Ethtool does support rx csum and tx csum:
> #define ETHTOOL_GRXCSUM         0x00000014 /* Get RX hw csum enable
> (ethtool_value) */
> #define ETHTOOL_SRXCSUM         0x00000015 /* Set RX hw csum enable
> (ethtool_value) */
> #define ETHTOOL_GTXCSUM         0x00000016 /* Get TX hw csum enable
> (ethtool_value) */
> #define ETHTOOL_STXCSUM         0x00000017 /* Set TX hw csum enable
> (ethtool_value) */

I believe this configuration relates to checksum generation/validation
of the device and not to this specific feature.

> That's something we discussed long time ago when we wanted GSO to
> avoid extra copy by using ICRC to enable SG feature. I remembered
> Roland rejected this idea since there could be potenical data
> corruption. And even if we do prove that ICRC is 100% accurate, then
> we should have some codes here to limit the IP destination within IB
> subnet when using ICRC. Otherwise, if the packets routing out to
> ehthernet IP subnet, these packets will be dropped.

I agree that we should not let a node configured to route packets, to
work at this mode.
But what if we use this rule:

if a node is configured, by root user, for ip forwarding then that root
user should make sure not to enable this feature.

Does this make sense?