[ofa-general] peer to peer connections support

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Dec 18 02:37:01 PST 2007

Hi Sean,

I wonder what will it take to implement peer to peer connection
establishment support in the IB CM (and RDMA-CM, ofcourse). Also do you
expect any API changes needed in order to support that?

Reading through section 12.10.4, I was not sure to fully understand the
following: "The ServiceID implicitly defines whether the service is
client/server or peer to peer, but the application must inform the CM so
that the CM will handle the inbound REQ correctly."

Such support would be useful in symmetric schemes such as MPIs that open
connections on demand and more applications where each party can both
accept and initiate connections. For example, I understand that some
work is done now at the open mpi community to use the rdma-cm as a
possible channel for connection establishment.

Or.