[ofa-general] Re: [RFC] XRC -- make receiving XRC QP independent of any one user process

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Dec 20 11:01:44 PST 2007

 > This API will be implemented in the upcoming OFED 1.3 release, so we need feedback ASAP.

I hope we can learn some lessons about development process... clearly
changing APIs after -rc1 is not something that leads to good quality
in general.

 > int ibv_alloc_xrc_rcv_qp(struct ibv_pd *pd,
 > 			 struct ibv_xrc_domain *xrc_domain,
 > 			 struct ibv_qp_attr *attr,
 > 			 enum ibv_qp_attr_mask attr_mask,
 > 			 uint32_t *xrc_rcv_qpn);

I can't say this interface is very appealing.

Another option would be to create an XRC verb that "detaches" a
userspace QP and gives it the same lifetime as an XRC domain.  But
that doesn't seem any nicer.

And I guess we can't combine creating the QP with allocating the XRC
domain, because the consumer might want to open the XRC domain before
it has connected with the remote side.

Oh well, I guess this XRC stuff just ends up being ugly.

 - R.