[ofa-general] peer to peer connections support

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:14:44 PST 2007

On 12/20/07, Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com> wrote:

> My thinking was that the peer to peer model would have both sides call
> connect only.  The peer to peer connection model only kicks in when both
> sides are in the REQ sent state.

Is this observation based on the wording used by the spec? if yes, can you
point on the sentence/s that does it?

>From my reading, I could not conclude that implementing it in a way that
both sides do listen and later set the peer to peer bit on the REQ such that
--if-- there's a "matching" REQ for the incoming REQ one side sends REP and
the other side ignores the incoming REQ etc - is against the spec.

> This makes the all peer to peer model useless, since an app can not make
> > sure that connection occur at exactly the same time!
>
> yep - (anyone can feel free to step in a set me straight on this...)
>
> > the spec is that peer to peer model has the ability to handle also
> > connections that occur at exactly the same time but not only.
>
> Peer to peer seems inherently racy to me

I understand that under TCP there's also a notion of peer to peer and
client/server connections, I'll give it a look next week to see what's the
foundations over there.

Or