[openib-general] [mthca] Creation of a SRQ with many WR (> 16K) in kernel level fails

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Thu Feb 1 03:10:48 PST 2007

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> As for the user space sharing of the same limitation, how about adding
>> to the --kernel-- struct ib_device_attr "for user space" buddy fields to
>> max_qp_wr max_srq_wr and max_cqe such that each hw driver set both
>> values: for the "user space" field the actual hw limitation and for
>> "kernel space" field a value which would pass kmalloc.

> We could do that I guess but no one so far used query in kernel,
> and userspace values are currently good.

srp calls ibv_device_query but does not care for these fields, as for
IPoIB CM if you see things as in my other email, i guess you don't need
to query as well.

However, as this is a kind of easy to implement change which does not
break the user kernel ABI and allows kernel consumers to count on query
results they got from the hw driver, going longer term i think we do
want to have it done.

Or.