[openib-general] Open MPI rpmbuild fails in OFED-1.2

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Feb 7 09:58:41 PST 2007

My $0.02: This is another in a growing list of issues reflecting the
whole "build everything in DESTDIR" is a problematic approach.

I have distinct %build and %install sections in the Open MPI specfile
-- they're really intended for two different things.  Specifically: I
wouldn't call the SuSE %build behavior a bug -- it reflects how they
want RPM designers to write RPMs.  It appears that we're trying to
circumvent their intended approach.  Shouldn't that be a warning
flag?  :-)

I've heard offhand comments that there were problems with trying to
use chroot for building OFED.  The two that I'm aware of are:

1. need to be root to make a chroot.
    My thought: who cares?
2. takes up lots of extra disk space.
    My thought: does it matter?  Do we know of anyone who has small-
disk servers who are building OFED? (and/or: can you hard-link files
to make a chroot environment?  I'm don't know)

Are there other issues?  More specifically, which is going to be
simpler: a) fixing the growing list of problems with the DESTDIR
approach or b) switching to a chroot environment?

A simple search for "chroot" on freshmeat, for example, turns up a
number of projects that can be used to help automate the creation of
chroot environments.

Again -- this is all my $0.02.  Comments?

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit