[openib-general] sharing qp between user and kernel

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Feb 7 14:40:48 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 17:31 -0500, Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> is an IB verbs consumer.  The
> plan was to connect up the QP in userspace and do some preliminary
> communication, then hand the QP to the kernel and let it use the QP
> directly to do some more communication.  This works fine on ammasso,
> but fails on mthca.

I think the only reason it works on ammasso is because ammasso doesn't
do any kernel bypass.

For devices that _do_ kernel bypass, I'm not sure it will work.

It will _not_ work for the Chelsio iWARP device as its implemented
today.  Once the decision is made to do kernel bypass, the kernel looses
track of the state of the resources shared by HW and library.

Steve.