[openib-general] dapl broken for iWARP

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Feb 8 13:26:49 PST 2007

At 07:43 AM 2/8/2007, Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
>That is correct.
>I am working with Krishna on it.
>Expect patches soon.
>
>By the way the problem is not DAPL specific
>and so is a proposed solution.
>
>There are 3 aspects of the solution.
>One is APIs. We suggest that we do not augment these.
>That is a connection requestor sets its QP
>RDMA ORD and IRD.
>When connection is established user can check the QP RDMA ORD and IRD
>to see what he has now to use over the connection.
>We may consider to extend QP attributes to support transport specific
>parameters passing in the future.
>For example, iWARP MPA CRC request.
>
>Second is the semantic that CM provides.
>The proposal is to match IBCM semantic.
>That is CM guarantee that local IRD is >= remote ORD.
>This guarantees that incoming RDMA Read requests will not overwhelm
>the QP RDMA Read capabilities.
>Again there is not changes to IBCM only to IWCM.
>Notice that as part of this IWCM will pass down to driver and extract
>from driver
>needed info.
>
>The final part is iWARP CM extension to exchange RDMA ORD, IRD.
>This is similar to IBTA Annex for IP Addressing.
>The harder part that this will eventually require IETF MPA spec extension,
>and the fact that MPA protocol is implemented in RNIC HW by many vendors,
>and hence can not be done by IWCM itself.

We looked at this quite a bit during the creation of the
specification.   All of the targeted usage models exchange this information
as part of their "hello" or login exchanges.    As such, the "hum" was to
not change MPA to communicate such information and leave it to software to
exchange these values through existing mechanisms.   I seriously doubt
there will be much support for modifying the MPA specification at this
stage since the implementations are largely complete and a modification
would have to deal with the legacy interoperability issue which likely
would be solved in software any way.  It would be simpler to simply modify
the underlying DAPL implementation to exchange the information and keep
this hidden from both the application and the RNIC providers.

Mike