[openib-general] Problem is routing CM REQ

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Feb 9 09:22:15 PST 2007

> SLID corresponding to SGID and a DLID for some IB router on the subnet
> which can route to the remote DGID.

This was my assumption as well.

> An SM is free to choose SLID and DLID to supply to if there are multiple
> LIDs for the ports in question it can choose alternates. The key here is
> whether a reversible path has been requested or not. It is also not
> clear what reversible means in the context of an IB internetwork
> (multiple IB subnets interconnected by IB routers).

For simplicity, assume a single path.  My assumption in this case was that the
SLID/DLID values would be reversed.  That is, the LIDs are relative to the local
subnet, not the SGID.  But if I set the SGID = DGID = remote GID, then the LIDs
would be relative to the remote subnet.  (Assuming that the local SA could
support such a query at all.)

It seems that in order to meet the requirements of the spec, we need a way to
perform inter-subnet queries.  (The alternative being to change the spec...)
And if the local SA can return a path record to a remote DGID, then it also
seems like the local SA must be able to collect some sort of information about
the path to the remote subnet.  (How it does this seems TBD.)

So... I'm thinking that the solution to these problems should rest within the
local SA...