[openib-general] Problem is routing CM REQ

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Feb 12 14:47:42 PST 2007

> 1) What does the TClass and FlowLabel returned from SGID=local
>    DGID=remote mean?
>    Do you use it in the Node1 -> Node2 direction or the Node2 -> Node1 direction
>    or both?

Maybe it would help if we can agree on a set of expectations.  These are what I
am thinking:

1. An SA should be able to respond to a valid PR query if at least one of the
GIDs in the path record is local.

2. The LIDs in a PR are relative to the SA's subnet that returned the record.

3. An IB router should not failover transparently to QPs sending traffic through
that router.

4. A PR from the local SA with reversible=1 indicates that data sent from the
remote GID to the local GID using the PR TC and FL will route locally using the
specified LID pair.  This holds whether the PR SGID is local or remote.

5. A PR from a remote SA with reversible=1 indicates that data sent from the
local GID to the remote GID using the PR TC and FL will route remotely using the
specified LID pair.  This holds whether the PR SGID is local or remote.

6. A PR with reversible=0 is relative to SA's subnet.  The SGID->DGID data flow
over the PR TC and FL indicates the SLID->DLID mapping for that subnet.

Do your expectations differ from these?

The use of reversible between subnets is what's concerning me.  It may be that
an SA could not return any paths as reversible between two subnets without using
some trick like what you mentioned.

These add a requirement on the SA that they must be aware of the routes packets
take between two GIDs using a given TC and FL, but I don't believe that this
necessarily forces SA to SA communication.  The SA may only need to exchange
information with a router...?

> Implicit in this are five IBA affecting things:
>  - that PRs with SGID=non-local mean something specific

I don't think that we're changing any of the meanings of the fields though.

>  - Routers do the SLID spoofing you outlined.

I'm not sure this is something that we do want now.  APM should really handle
path failover.

> There is alot of complex work in the router and SA side to make this
> kind of topology work, but it is critical that the clients use path
> queries that can provide enough data to the SA and return enough data
> to the client to support this.

I'm still deciding if the existing path record attribute is sufficient.