[openib-general] mvapich2 ofed 1.2 problem

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 13 10:01:47 PST 2007

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > How do I tell?  Can I tell from the .so files?
>
> ldd on the .so and the app would probably give you good info.
>
> I'm pretty sure that mpicc must be linking against an libibverbs 1.0
> from somewhere.
>
>  - R.

When I build using the OFED-1.2-20070208-1508, libibverbs 1.0 is what is
built, at least by looking at the .so file result:

[rowland at z0 ~]$ ls /usr/local/ofed/lib64/ |grep ibverbs libibverbs.a
libibverbs.so
libibverbs.so.1
libibverbs.so.1.0.0

This seems odd. Is it correct? I have updated the MVAPICH2 SRPM and sent
a new patch for the OFED install scripts. This won't be reflected until
the alpha1 release. Still, does the above seem strange? I noticed this
recently. I see symbols for both versions though:

0000000000005a50 T ibv_detach_mcast at IBVERBS_1.0
00000000000082c0 T ibv_detach_mcast@@IBVERBS_1.1
0000000000000000 A IBVERBS_1.0
0000000000000000 A IBVERBS_1.1

Our code links to these libraries, and by default mpicc
should use what's in /usr/local/ofed/lib[64] in the -L path itself
directly too. Is this an issue in the library? The libmpich.so file
should not be any different when built. We will investigate this.

I can provide a patch against the latest OFED tar.gz to use the
mvapich2-0.9.8-3.src.rpm once I download the release if that would help,
as we have changed some things since the -2 SRPM release. Again, this
should be reflected in the alpha1 release.
Shaun Rowland	rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/