[openib-general] IB routing discussion summary

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Feb 14 13:49:26 PST 2007

I do not see the need for any of this.   The router protocol should be
designed to work with each subnet's SM / SA to provide information on what
GID prefix is on each router Port.  This is used to look up the subnet
local LRH fields.

The only cross-subnet challenges are global based, e.g. what is the P_Key
to use and how to manage those across subnets or how should TClass be
interpreted to achieve a consistent behavior independent of how the TClass
is subnet local mapped to a SL.    These were the types of challenges
remaining when we stopped development of the router specification.   If the
IBTA decides to develop a router specification then it might be best to
join that effort and work it out in detail before attempting to develop the
management infrastructure.  May be able to slightly lag in order to
validate the technical directions that the spec will take without having to
wait until 1.0 to say, yep, this looks good or here is where you need to
change the spec.   Not clear what can be developed until there is a router
specification to execute to in the industry.

Mike