[openib-general] ibv_get_device_list() question

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Jan 2 15:00:07 PST 2007

We're debating internally in the OMPI group about providing access to
specific NICs/HCAs, especially on NUMA machines where different NICs/
HCAs are local to different busses / processors.  So I have the
following questions:

1. Does the ibv API provide any information about devices' physical
location with regards to busses / processors?  (I doubt it, but I'm
just asking to be sure)

2. Even if we get this information externally (e.g., user provides a
config file to OMPI), does the information returned via
ibv_get_device_list() come back in a guaranteed order?  I.e., if I
have multiple HCAs in a host, will the entries in the list always be
returned in the same order such that I could have a host-specific
OMPI config file saying "processes on cores 0,1,2,3 use ibv_device 0,
processes on cores 4,5,6,7 use device 1", or something similar?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit