[openib-general] ib_gid_is_link_local

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Jan 2 15:00:27 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 04:42:23PM -0500, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> > I propose changing the routine name to ib_gid_is_default_prefix so as
> > not to be misleading. Comments ? Patch to follow for this.
>
> What is confusing is the link local unicast GID definition in Figure 39.
> It says 54 bits of and is green (which I think means 0 as in Figure 40)
> on p. 144-145.

I think you are right about the 0s (see definition of GID Prefix).
Based on the definition of GID Prefix (and the IPv6 addressing
architecture this section is clearly derived from) I'd also change
ib_gid_is_link_local to check only the scope bits (ie compare a /10
not a /64..)

BTW, I think ib_gid_is_link_local is a fine name for the function as
is and matches the various specifications. The test you described:

> > > Shouldn't it be either the default subnet prefix or the one supplied in
> > > PortInfo:GidPrefix (which might not be the default one) ?

Would be better described as ib_gid_is_on_link. on-link being a term
used to refer to an address where a routing table says it is present
on the local link rather than reachable through a router.

It looks like you are making alot of progress here on router support -
I'm looking forward to trying it!

Jason