[openib-general] APM support in openib stack

Tang, Changqing changquing.tang at hp.com
Thu Jan 4 08:19:14 PST 2007

> > I understand that you considering to go on an approach
> which does not
> > involve librdmacm, so you would probably like to
> >
> > 	+ use IB PORT GIDs at your initial mpi init exchange
> > 	+ issue IB SA Path query via libibsa (which does not exist)
>
> likely multipath query if you want APM

Yes, we want to have APM as well.

> > 	+ establish IB RC connection (listen/connect/accept) via libibcm
> >
> > Please note that such an approach is possible even with the non
> > existence of libibsa (similarly to what IB MPIs do today
> use IB PORT
> > LIDs [note you would need both GIDs & LIDs to have the CM working
> > fine]
>
> There are other possibilities here too using inband (IB) exchanges.
> libibsa is not that far away either. What is your time frame ?

Is it possible to have it in OFED 1.2 ?

> > at your ranks pre exchange and hardcode the other IB PATH
> params such
> > as MTU, PKEY and SL you set later into the IB RC QP.
> >
> > However, a no rdma cm approach means you need to apply
> hacks to "guess"
> > the correct pkey, mtu and sl and some more limitations that
> eventually
> > you would face when coming to advanced IB deployment environments.
>
> Also, you would make more work if iWARP support is of
> interest as well.
> It comes "for free" or at least "for cheap" if the RDMA CM
> approach is taken.

We understand that, but we hope to have a connect/accept style IB
connection setup, without IPoIB involved,
like HP-UX IT-API(similar to uDAPL without underlying IP support), it
works with multiple cards.

Configure 4-5 IP addresses on a single node is kind of silly.

--CQ