[openib-general] OFED 1.2, iw_cxgb3, and genalloc()

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Jan 8 08:54:20 PST 2007

I've packaged the Chelsio T3 Drivers (modules iw_cxgb3 and cxgb3) into
Vlad's ofed_1_2 repos and I'm testing now.  I've run into an issue with
the Chelsio driver.  It requires the kernel genalloc() allocator, which
is only built into the kernel if any code requires it at config time of
the kernel.  Also, it was new to 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 so it won't exist for
older OFED distros like SLES.

So there are two related issues:

1) the genalloc services don't exist in older kernels.
2) Even if it does exist in the kernel src tree on a distro, it might
not have been built in if nothing required that service when the kernel
was configured.

I need to handle both cases.

I'm seeking advice on how to pull this functionality in for ofed 1.2.
My initial thought is to add a patch similar to the memtrack patch and
add it either as a module or as part of the iw_cxgb3 module.  I could
even rename the services and always add them so I can avoid having to
detect if its in the running kernel.

Any Ideas/comments?

Thanks,

Steve.