[openib-general] some IB multicast sendonly thoughts

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Jan 16 07:46:57 PST 2007

Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> OK, assuming my setup consists of:
>> +1 IB node doing only multicast TX on a group
>> +2 an IB/Ethernet gateway
>> 3+ Eth node doing only multicast RX on the equiv mac (forget manytoone)

>> The gateway design is to register for SA MGID IN/OUT traps and when it
>> gets MGID IN it joins the the mgroup as ***NonMember** etc

> GW needs to listen on IGMP on the Eth port...

this was fast... thanks for jumping on it.

So you are saying that the GW **has** to listen on IGMP at the Eth side
and **has** to do IB SA join in the only way that forces the SA to
create the group --> FullMember ?

If indeed, this is kind of bad, I find the approach of the GW being
"transparent" to the SA in the sense that it does not cause mgroup
create/destroy nor mgroup ref count inc/dec much more robust, so you are
saying its not feasible with the IB spec.

Or.