[openib-general] <new>.openfabrics.org names

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Jan 22 14:29:35 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Cain, Brian ((GE Healthcare)) wrote:

>> Are you asking for a self-signed cert on bugs.openfabrics.org?
>>
>> Sure, that should be do-able.  Michael -- could you do that?
>
> Might I recommend a cert signed by CACert (http://www.cacert.org/)?
> It's no more expensive than self signed and easier to trust.

My $0.02 (and then I'm out of this conversation :-) ):

1. CACert has no degree of trust.  If anyone can get them for free,
then you have no guarantees about anything.  You get SSL, but you
can't trust it.

2. If we have no money to spend on certificates, it's not too
difficult to create our own root CA and sign all of our certs from
it.  Hence, it's still just one cert to import into your browser.

3. If we have money to spend on certificates, then we should spend it
and get ones signed by verisign or someone that already has a CA in
popular browsers.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit