[openib-general] Suggestion to remove NAPI with IPoIB from OFED 1.2 release

Bernard King-Smith wombat2 at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 25 07:48:22 PST 2007

To:
"EWG" <Openfabrics-ewg at openib.org>
cc:
"Roland Dreier" <rdreier at cisco.com>, "OPENIB" <openib-general at openib.org>
Subject:
[openib-general] Suggestion to remove NAPI with IPoIB from OFED 1.2
release
> I suggest that in OFED 1.2 we will not include the NAPI support
> The reasons are:
>
>    * IBM interrupt handler change to support NAPI will not be ready on
time
>    * IPoIB UD with NAPI was not tested thoroughly
>    * IPoIB CM mode was tested without NAPI and got to a good stability.

If we remove NAPI, does that remove the rotting packet fix from OFED 1.2
also? If it does I think we still need to keep the rotting packet code in.

> If no one objects I will change the OFED 1.2 plan

> Thanks,
> Tziporet

Bernie King-Smith
IBM Corporation
Server Group
Cluster System Performance
wombat2 at us.ibm.com    (845)433-8483
Tie. 293-8483 or wombat2 on NOTES

"We are not responsible for the world we are born into, only for the world
we leave when we die.
So we have to accept what has gone before us and work to change the only
thing we can,
-- The Future." William Shatner