[ofa-general] Re: Re: IPoIB-CM UC mode

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jul 3 10:02:17 PDT 2007

> That it's a general IB problem and should be addressed at IB level.
> Which it seems to be - with CM.

I understand the simplicity that using LAP for an out-of-band keep alive
message can give you, but that's not the intent of the message.  (You
could also use REQ/REJ or SIDR REQ/SIDR REP messages for this carrying
the right private data...)

If we don't want to require apps to send in-band keep alive messages,
then I think we should explore all potential out-of-band solutions.  For
example, event registration could be used to detect that a remote node
has gone down.  We could use per node keep alive messages, rather than
per connection messages.  We could add a new out-of-band keep alive
message.  Or clearly define that LAP is the preferred way of for all
connections to do keep alives.