[ofa-general] IB performance stats (revisited)

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Wed Jul 11 08:56:31 PDT 2007

>Hi Marc,
>
>I wish I had a large enough fabric worth testing collectl on...

there may be a disconnect here as collectl collects data locally.  on a
typical system, taking 10 second samples for all the different
subsystems it support (though you can certainly turn up the frequency if
you like) takes about 2MB/day and retains it for a week,  This does OFED
support out-of-the-box, using perfquery to read/clear the counters.
Just install it and type:

collectl -scmx -oTm (lots of other combinations of choices)

and you'll see data for cpu, memory and interconnect data with millisec
timestamps as follows:

#
<--------CPU--------><-----------Memory----------><----------InfiniBand---------->
#Time         cpu sys inter  ctxsw free buff cach inac slab  map   KBin
pktIn  KBOut pktOut Errs
11:55:06.004    0   0   261     44   7G  46M 268M 151M 249M  21M
0      0      0      0    0
11:55:07.004    0   0   275     61   7G  46M 268M 151M 249M  21M
0      0      0      0    0
11:55:08.004    0   0   251     18   7G  46M 268M 151M 249M  21M
0      0      0      0    0
11:55:09.004    0   0   251     23   7G  46M 268M 151M 249M  21M
0      0      0      0    0

>I did the math for how much data would be collected for 10Knodes
>cluster. It is ~7MB for each iteration:
>10K ports
>* 6 (3 level fabric * 2 ports on each link)
>* 32 byte (data/pkts tx/rx) + 22byte (err counters) + 64byte (cong
>counters) = 116bytes
>
>Seems reasonable - but adds up to large amount of data over a day period
>assuming a collect every second:
>24*60*60 *116*10000*6 = 6.01344e+11 Bytes of storage

no disagreement.  that's why I chose NOT to try to solve the distributed
data collection problem.  collectl runs locally wiht <0.1% cpu overhead.
-mark