[ofa-general] RFC OFED-1.3 installation

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 16 12:32:59 PDT 2007

      Is ib-utils depends on opensm-libs? If so I would suggest to change
opensm-libs as libsmutils. Otherwise ib-utils won't work without installing
opensm package. Does this make sense?

Thanks
Shirley

             Bob Kossey
             <bob.kossey at hp.co
             Sent by:                  general at lists.openfabrics.org
             general-bounces at l                                          cc
             ists.openfabrics.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ofa-general] RFC OFED-1.3
                                       installation
             07/16/07 11:54 AM

Hi Vlad,

This looks good, a few comments.  As you are splitting out RPM spec
files for each package, I would like to see the RPM release numbers be
consistently updated whenever changes are made to a package.
Ideally, this would be coordinated with the release numbers from
the distros, so that we could tell whether a version of an OFED RPM
in a distro was the older, the same or more recent than an OFED RPM
from openfabrics.org.  This would also allow us to update them with
rpm -Uvh.  Extra credit would be given for adding dependency information to
the packages.

I also like the idea of clearly separating the build of the RPMs from
their installation.
I would like to see all target system modifications be made by RPM files,
or postinstall scripts, rather than from the install.pl script, which may
not always be run on a target.

Thanks,
Bob