[ofa-general] RFC OFED-1.3 installation

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 19:58:28 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 19:04 +0300, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 12:32 -0700, Shirley Ma wrote:
> > Is ib-utils depends on opensm-libs? If so I would suggest to change
> > opensm-libs as libsmutils. Otherwise ib-utils won't work without
> > installing opensm package. Does this make sense?
>
> Not whole opensm, but opensm-libs. Why the name ("opensm-libs" or
> "libsmutils") is matter?

It doesn't.  In the case of opensm, opensm requires opensm-libs, so it's
perfectly acceptable to install opensm-libs without opensm as there is
no requirement on opensm from opensm-libs.

Generally, it's standard practice that when you have something that's
primarily an app, but happens to provide libs that *can* be utilized by
other apps, then the naming is <appname>, <appname>-libs,
<appname>-devel.  Only when you have a package that is primarily a
library and any apps in the package are demo/test/example apps that
don't serve a useful purpose outside of the scope of the library do you
name the packages lib<name>, lib<name>-devel, and put the apps in
lib<name>-utils.

In addition, it is generally frowned upon to ship any static libraries
that customers might link against, but if you find that's truly
necessary, then it is preferred that the static libs be in a separate
-static package.  This way customers must intentionally install the
package to be able to link statically, so it won't happen by accident.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at