[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB path caching

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Mon Jul 23 01:26:31 PDT 2007

Roland Dreier wrote:

>  > Do you agree that using cached IB L2 info where the net stack wants to
>  > renew its IPoIB L2 (which is IB L3 && L4) info is a bug?
>
> Yes, looks that way.
>
> Also your point that there's no reason for IPoIB to keep the path info
> once it has created the AH makes sense to me.  I haven't had a chance
> to look at the code but it seems we could kill off a lot of stuff by
> just creating AHs immediately and then dumping the path record.

Indeed.

It does make sense to keep the path info for admin / debugging purposes,
eg printing them through debugfs etc, but no more.

In the context of the local sa, this seems to be another requirement
namely: provide the consumer with an API to specify if it is willing to
get from the ib_sa module a cached IB L2 info (path) or not.

As I said above, if the network stack decides to renew its IPoIB L2
info, the IB stack must provide it with non-cached IB L2 info

Or.