[ofa-general] IPoIB CM Connection establishment

Amar Mudrankit amar.mudrankit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:45:06 PDT 2007

Hi all,

          While establishing a connection with the remote node, path is
resolved and REQ is sent by the requester. We get a REP from the peer
indicating that it is ready for this connection establishment.

           At the requester's end, the REP is handled by
ipoib_cm_rep_handler function in which the context of the path is recalled.
All the skbs are then first de-queued, their dev pointers are changed to the
device present in context(skb->dev = p->dev) and again queued for
transmission using dev_queue_xmit.

           Now, when I traced back the initialization of context from
requester point of view, I found it done in function ipoib_cm_create_tx in
which dev argument is the network device corresponding to ipoib interface.

           Hence, what is the difference between skb->dev and p->dev?

           Is p->dev is a different network device because of new
connection? what is the difference between ipoib net_device and this new
p->dev?

           Precisely, I would like to understand the semantics of this
p->dev.

           Can anyone tell me whether this trace is right and point me to
correct trace if it is wrong?

Regards,
Amar