[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB path caching

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jul 31 09:15:07 PDT 2007

> Indeed. The argument I was trying to make is that arp cache invalidation
>  requires IPoIB PR cache invalidation, this handles 100% of the cases,
> including the 10% not covered by doing cache invalidation based only on
>  IB events such as port up / sm lid change / sm reregister / etc

ARP cache invalidation does not require, nor does it actually do IPoIB
PR cache invalidation.  We can argue whether or not it should, but the
two are not linked together today.

The local SA updates paths either in response to an event: LID change,
port state change, GID in/out of service, etc., or when refreshed via a
module parameter.  A refresh can occur in response to an administrative
event, when told to by a system administrator, before executing large
jobs, periodically based on a timer, or whenever else.  That policy is
outside the scope of the proposed patches, but covers all other
potential cases where the cache must be updated.

I like the advantages of keeping the local SA entirely in user space,
but there are issues that need to be worked through first.  And
implementation wise, it's unlikely to give us anything that remains in
sync any better than what's already been proposed without the use of
non-standard extensions.