[ofa-general] PATCH [0/3] osm: adding root and compute node guid files options for fat-tree

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Sun Jun 17 02:28:20 PDT 2007

Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> On 16:57 Fri 15 Jun     , Hal Rosenstock wrote:

>>> It is yet hypothetical. Currently I don't see a strong practical reasons
>>> to have two separate root guids file options for up/down and fat-tree,
>>> but guess this is minor and not showstopper.
>> Wouldn't a current practical reason be switching between up/down and fat
>> tree and they each have different roots ? Is that a real scenario ?
>
> Sure (but guess in many cases selected roots will be same for both
> algos).

I think that selected roots will always be same for both algos.
I can't think of any topology that will require different set of roots
for two algorithms that see the fabric as tree with routes going up and
then down.

> I think this scenario will be handled well with single shared
> option, like:
>
>   opensm -R ftree --roots-file ftree-roots-file
>
> , and
>
>   opensm -R updn --roots-file updn-roots-file

I agree with this.
I will rework the patch and replace the updn_guid_file with root_guid_file,
and add cn_guid_file.

This also means that the OSM command line options -a or --add_guid_file
will be replaced with -O or --root_guid_file, and we will have additional
options for CN file: -C or --cn_guid_file

Sounds OK?

-- Yevgeny