[ofa-general] Re: infiniband bonding/merging/aggregation with SDP and/or VERBS

Moni Shoua monisonlists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:13:00 PDT 2007

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> Quoting Moni Shoua <monisonlists at gmail.com>:
>> Subject: Re: infiniband bonding/merging/aggregation with SDP and/or?VERBS
>>
>> Tziporet Koren wrote:
>>> What is the status of accepting the specific IB changes to Linux kernel?
>> I've sent a new patch yesterday with a comment about module unload being
>> unsafe under specific scenarios.
>> Michael's opinion is that we should fix this issue first but I think that
>> there is a place to push the current patch now and wait for the other fix to
>> come later (which is probably not in IB or at least not just IB).
>
> I don't think this summarizes my opinion correctly.
> I just would like to see all the patches together - I have a feeling caching the
> device in ipoib->dev is problematic and module unloading issues are just a
> symptom pointing to deeper issues.

I'll try to summarize the concept of bonding and IPoiB soon but in the meantime
I just want to make sure that I understand you.
You're saying that caching the device in ipoib->dev is problematic. What do you mean by that?
This is how bonding works (even for Ethernet). It takes a pointer of dev and remembers it for its operation.