[ofa-general] OFA newbie question: module load/unload

Kanoj Sarcar kanojsarcar at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 16:15:50 PDT 2007

--- Sean Hefty <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> >What about bumping the module reference count when
> >kernel client (eg ipoib) is using a device? How is
> the
> >driver made unloadable in such cases?
>
> The driver is still unloadable in such cases.  The
> kernel client is notified
> when a device is removed and is expected to release
> any resources associated
> with that device.
>
> - Sean

Okay.

So, the driver is responsible for waking up any verb
handler threads that issued commands to the card but
have not yet received responses.

As an example, using mthca, I assume then something
like mthca_CLOSE_IB() is causing the card to respond
back to all pending verb requests so that
mthca_cmd_event() can flag those as cancelled, and all
threads can exit the to-be-unloaded code. Or maybe
some other piece of code is handling this?

Thanks.

Kanoj