[ofa-general] Re: [GIT PULL] please pull infiniband.git

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Mar 29 15:54:31 PDT 2007

 > >     "The CI does not guarantee that CQEs generated for a QP prior to
 > >     its destruction can be retrieved from the CQ after that QP has
 > >     been destroyed."

 > Roland, I think you misunderstand this language.
 > It simply means that CQEs can disappear if you reset the QP.

Yes, _can_ disappear, not _must_ disappear.  Which means that CQEs are
allowed to be returned after the QP that generated them is gone.  In
fact the spec's language suggests that the normal situation is for
CQEs to stick around after a QP is destroyed, but that the strange
behavior (which mthca implements) of CQEs disappearing is also permitted.

And in fact if I recall correctly, the Solaris stack goes through some
crazy inefficiency exactly so that it can return CQEs for a QP after
that QP is destroyed.

 > If stale CQEs could come out, you would never be able to
 > destroy a QP without destroying the CQ.

Why?

 - R.