[ofa-general] So how do you build kernel modules for non-standard kernels?

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 29 16:47:49 PDT 2007

We have here at LLNL a kernel which is based on RHEL4 U4 but has a kernel
version which looks like this:

16:10:56 > uname -r
2.6.9-61chaos

One of our engineers here downloaded the latest OFED 1.2 build and attempted to
build the kernel modules, which fails.  (I have included the ofed.conf file and
build log)

As we were afraid, build.sh does not detect the correct kernel version.  We
attempted to work around the problem by:

   1) installing the ofa_kernel-1.2-beta1.src.rpm

16:31:05 > rpm -i ofa_kernel-1.2-beta1.src.rpm
warning: user vlad does not exist - using root
warning: group vlad does not exist - using root
warning: user vlad does not exist - using root
warning: group vlad does not exist - using root

16:31:09 > ls */*ofa*
SOURCES/ofa_kernel-1.2.tgz  SPECS/ofa_kernel.spec*

   2) Extracting the source from that install
   3) Adding the following line to the configure script.

get_backport_dir()
        2.6.9-61*)
                echo 2.6.9_U4
        ;;

   4) taring that source back up.

16:34:34 > ls */*ofa*
SOURCES/ofa_kernel-1.2.tgz  SPECS/ofa_kernel.spec*

SOURCES/ofa_kernel-1.2:
BUILD_ID        Makefile@   drivers/  kernel_addons/   makefile@  ofed_scripts/
Documentation/  configure@  include/  kernel_patches/  net/

   5) runing rpmbuild -ba ofa_kernel.spec

However this results only in:

   Wrote: /home/weiny2/rpm/SRPMS/ofa_kernel-1.2-beta1.src.rpm

It does not seem to be building the modules themselves.

Is there an option to tell build.sh which backport to use for our kernel?

Ira